Deciding whether you need a Saatva foundation or box spring for your new mattress depends on the kind of bed you plan on using (platform beds, for example, don't need a foundation), your existing mattress foundation or box spring, and whether or not you plan to use an adjustable base.
You will need the Saatva box foundation if:
- Your existing foundation or support system is more than 7 years old.
- Your existing support creaks, has soft spots, or is damaged in any way.
- You want a foundation designed to support your specific mattress.
Our Saatva HD, for example, requires pairing with our HD foundation for optimal support.
- You want a foundation that matches your mattress. We use the same organic cotton blend cover for the Saatva box foundation as we do for our mattresses.
You won't need the Saatva box foundation if:
- You purchased a mattress support system within the last 7 years.
- Your existing foundation is in good condition and provides sturdy center support.
- You don't mind not having matching foundation.
- You have a platform bed, which does not require a foundation.
- You have an adjustable base, which takes the place of a foundation or box spring.
To learn more about choosing the right support system for your mattress, see our article on mattress foundations